[General] Attn: Bob

CG cngdsg at comcast.net
Sun Nov 16 16:54:21 UTC 2008

Bob,

It appears that what I have left are a couple of electrically operated
strikes.  These are mortised into the frame instead of the door. This is
the way most electrically operated doors are operated as it simplifies
wiring and requires no change to the key/lock mechanism (which I am sure
you know). You can also continue to use a key as a backup of course. You
may not want to modify the door jam as you have a rental property. The
other problem is that they probably will not operate with the dead bolt
but only the latch mechanism. However, they might work if the geometry
is right.   But, they are  not as secure as a standard dead bolt
operating into a reinforced socket.

There are electrically operated dead bolt mechanisms available such as
you have cleverly  jury rigged, they require no modification to the
door, but I do not have one and I think they are pricey.

I also have some external keypads meant for this application.  You
probably already have keypads.

You can buy RFID readers and cards embedded with RFID chips fairly
inexpensively that interface to Arduino boards.  (I know because I
bought one... but returned it...long story).    I am sure you can also
get data strip cards and programmers fairly inexpensively as well.

I also have an excellent fax unit (and manual) gathering dust  But, of
course any P.C.  can serve as a fax now.

I have the other item we discussed.

So, if any of this is of interest, email or call me at (880 6896) and we
can make arrangements to get it to you.

Best Regards,

Chuck