[General] Two Thoughts About Money & Our Finances

Ethan Chew spacefelix at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 21:59:46 CDT 2009

Hello,

        I plan to put this to the proposals wiki later, but I was wondering
if you could give me feedback on the following ideas for money.  But first,
I must voice a concern as to how we are handling money; right now, as I see
it, we really should not be planning to sit on our money issue or wait for a
benefactor.  The moment our cashflow goes negative or even better, the
moment we do not have money to support the shop (e.g. maintenence and
supplies), we need to act immediately to resolve this.
        Therefore, I propose we put the following change to our rules for
shop contributions, taking into consideration that there are some members
who have decided to contribute non-financially:
Members are required to choose either of the following to contribute to the
shop:

   - Help w/ chores and tasks - The Fac Com has several weekly/monthly
   chores that must be done.

-OR-

   - Donate a minimum dollar amount - We can compute this based on how many
   members we have (or will have) who can contribute and how much money we need
   to keep the shop running.

I feel this is the most fair and available option to our group to help us
with money.  Please let me know your thoughts.

          - Ethan