[General] Class Opportunities For Makers in Huntsville In Appropriate Technologies Design & Permaculture

Ethan Chew spacefelix at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 00:12:25 CDT 2011

Hello Makers!

      I have two opportunities for you in classes with appropriate
technologies design & permaculture.  To define, appropriate technology
design <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appropriate_technology> is the use of
technology to allow a community to become self-reliant; e.g. using local
resources and skills to implement and sustainably operate a setup for basic
resources and income.  Some examples are
here<http://www.sifat.org/apptech.html>.
 Permaculture <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permaculture> is the design of
agriculture to mimic natural ecosystems to form a stable, self-sufficient
means of production.
      The appropriate technologies design class will be conducted on-site at
SIFAT <http://www.sifat.org/>'s campus in Lineville, AL with the local
chapter of Engineers Without
Borders<http://www.uah.edu/student_life/organizations/ewb-uah/>.
 It will be an all day weekend course that we are tentatively planning for
late August.  We will confirm a date after 8/20.  If you are interested in
attending please inform Justin Wetherwax (jwetherwax at gmail.com) as to the
time you would like to attend and how many people you will be bringing.
      The permaculture class, "Backyard Permaculture Series" will be 3
series of classes this fall.  The first class of the series will be on
September 10th.  It will be held at Michele Sneed's (michelesneed at aol.com)
farm at 414 Voekel Rd, Huntsville 35811.  For more information and to
register for classes ($45/class), please visit her
website<http://www.thefarmhousehuntsville.com/OrganicFarming.html>
.

               - Ethan Chew/Spacefelix