[General] Ordering Acrylic

John Kelly candleknight at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 17:49:28 CDT 2012

Hi everyone!
I'm getting ready to order a crap ton of acrylic (Plexiglass) and
polycarbonate (Lexan) soon. It's much cheaper both in materials cost and in
shipping to order a bunch at a time, so I though I'd ask if anybody else
wants to add to the order and/or split a large sheet. Ordering this way
will be about 30-40% cheaper than buying at Lowes/Home Depot (factoring in
shipping costs, taxes, discounts).

I'm ordering from: www.estreetplastics.com

This stuff is super useful, and can be used to make robot parts, gears,
project enclosures, mechanical mechanisms, templates for moulds, jigs for
other projects, and about a 100 billion other things.

Check out the site to see what kind of materials they have that you might
want to get.

Cutting it up into 8" x 12" pieces makes it fit really nicely into the
laser cutter, so I'll mostly be ordering 24" x 48" sheets so that I can cut
them into 12 nice even pieces for the laser cutter.

I'll personally be ordering various quantities of:
*Clear acrylic: 1/16", 1/8", 3/16", 1/4"
*Transparent red, blue, and green
*Florescent Green
*Mirrored 1/8"  (can be cut/engraved and combined with a light source to
make really neat optical projections )
*Polycarbonate: 1/16", 1/8", 1/4"
*And one 18" X 36" piece of 1/2" polycarbonate to cut in half to use as the
door to the freeze dryer vacuum chamber

Since it's cheaper to order in bulk, I'll be ordering more than I need
right now. If anyone would like to split a piece let me know. Also let me
know if you'd like to add something of your own to the order to save on
shipping.

-Candleknight
(John Kelly)

P.S. Take note that they also sell the styrene sheets used for the vacuum
forming machine.