[General] LearningQUEST and the Makers Local

Laurie Kellogg kello036 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 18:39:53 CDT 2012

Proposal deadline = August 14, 2012.

Sorry to blast this, but thought you guys would be perfect for teaching
something for LearningQUEST.  LQ is a local organization that provides free
or nearly free courses to their members and the public in a myriad of
subjects.  They would like to beef up their science and engineering
offerings to attract more people, so naturally I thought of ya'll.  They
are beginning to approve and put together their Winter/Spring catalog and
are looking for people willing to teach (strictly volunteer).  They are
currently taking proposals and I have attached two blank proposal forms as
well as the guidelines; (1) course and (2) Lunch and Learn.

The two categories for teaching are courses (choose the number of days, day
of the week and time) or Lunch and Learn (held 11:45-1 at the main library,
choose the number of days and day of the week).

The topic can be just about anything.  You can choose to have
prerequisites, require or recommend materials or texts and indicate a
minimum and maximum of students.  If the topic is something that is
hands-on, you can also request to hold the class at another location.

To give you an example, I taught a course entitled Ecology of the Body, a
course covering very basic ecological and ecosystem principles, the body as
a series of ecosystems, the microorganisms inhabiting each ecosystem and
the interaction between the ecosystem (e.g. stomach) and the community
present.  We met over 4 course periods in April of 2012.  The course had
approximately 25 students, primarily retired folks who were incredibly
engaged.  I will probably teach it again next year.

If you are interested, please contact Cheryl Patterson at
drpatter at hiwaay.net.  You can either send a proposal or talk to her about
topics you are thinking about and she can help you craft it to fit with the
audience.  Or shoot me an email to get more info.

I hope someone from Makers is interested!