[General] Laser Cutter Ventilation

John Kelly candleknight at gmail.com
Tue May 8 11:36:23 CDT 2012

 Hello all!
A while back I was working on seriously upgrading the ventilation system
for the laser cutter and electronics lab. I got through the design phase,
but sort of lost steam and interest just shy of actually ordering and
installing the parts, in part due to a temporary hiatus I was taking after
getting 'burned out' playing with the laser cutter (pun intended). Well,
now I'm back at it and the last time I tried to use the laser cutter it
gave off some very stinky vapors, and after my throat started tingling I
was acutely reminded of the need to finish this project. Respirator masks
shouldn't be required attire for the laser cutter room.

I remember the first time I got really into using the laser cutter I
started to develop a cough after a few weeks, and now sometimes just being
in the fab lab a few hours after someone has been cutting something, you
can just sort of smell the death hanging in the air (only 'mostly'
hyperbole). I addition to the laser cutter, this upgrade would also add
ventilation and fume removal capabilities to the electronics work area and
soldering stations, whose fumes are less pungent and immediately
irritating, but are still not exactly healthy and need to be taken care of
. I know some of us like to joke around about the "delicious fumes" and
whatnot, but in all honesty this is a very real safety hazard that is long
past due to be dealt with.

My picks for equipment, pricing, and some research notes and links are on
the wiki at the link below.
https://256.makerslocal.org/wiki/40_Watt_Laser_Cutter#Ventilation_Improvement

For those of you too lazy to click the link, here's the cliffnotes version of
the "Finalized" Materials List:
1x 8" InLine blower Fan @ $120
3x 8" ducting @ $25 each = $75
1x Blower Speed Controller @ $22
Total cost ≈ $217 ± $30 (for hookers and blow)

*Anyone who wants to throw some money into the hat to help with the cost
would be much appreciated!*

I'm hoping to start ordering parts/installing stuff latter this week-ish or
next week.

*coughcough**wheeeeeeze*
-Candleknight

(John Kelly)