[General] Halloween Haunt

Rick Nelson geezer.nelson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 27 12:39:13 CDT 2012

Most of you don't know me, and those who do only know me as the cop
that comes to open houses sometimes.  I have been lurking on the email
list since this group was meeting in someone's apartment.  I'm hoping
that some of you will be interested in helping with my problem.
I work out of the South Precinct, which is on Bailey Cove across the
street from Grissom High School.  The Captain in charge of the
precinct asked me to put together a small "haunted house" in the
precinct for Halloween this year.  I have worked with others on haunts
in past years, so I have a couple of pneumatic props and some static
items.  I'm looking for volunteers to help design a haunt for the
precinct that will use the props I have and still have a good flow.
I'm not the creative type, so I'm blank on this.  There is time to
make small modifications to the items I have, but anything requiring
construction will have to be small and fast because the department has
me working quite a lot.  I will be this busy until the new Police
Academy starts, probably in November.
I have a few pneumatic cylinders and various parts from previous
props, but no budget for new materials.  We will have to keep it
cheap.  When the Capt. mentioned this last year, I thought about doing
a zombie shooting gallery using cheap nerf dart guns.  The Capt. liked
the idea, but I can't program the micro-controllers (I only have two
or three Prop1 controllers) and the expense of buying all the parts to
make it work was just too much.  I also had a great idea for a flying
prop, and most of the parts to build it, but I don't know if it would
fit with the theme and it would require an actor who could drive the
prop and acting the part.  And weighed less than the maximum that the
cylinders will lift, which eliminates me.
Would anyone like to volunteer to help out with this project?  It
should be fun.  Maybe we could put the Makers Local 256 banner out
front in order to recognize your efforts.  I'm open to suggestions.
Thanks,
Rick Nelson