[General] Open Tech Coffee, QEST

Jeff Hammock Jeff at MECHoptix.com
Wed Oct 2 06:26:59 CDT 2013

Here is a message that you can forward to anyone who might be interested in
two new entrepreneurial events.

John Whitman at UAH has organized a new group that will meet for coffee in
the morning every two weeks starting October 4 at BizTech.  You can follow
the group on Twitter @OpenTechCoffee.

Bob Jackson at Cygnus Strategies informed me of a quarterly event called
Quarterly Exchange of Solutions (QEST) to launch January 2014 with similar
intentions.

http://cygnusstrategy.com/cygnus-to-launch-qest/

Whitman's message, 9/13/2013:

Thank you for participating in this morning's high-energy, pre-launch
discussion about how to engage in Huntsville's high tech startup scene. A
total of 18 folks came, myself included, for the on-time 7:30 AM start, and
most were still talking long after the close. Here are the key points:

1. The group will be open, inclusive, and informal. After introductory
remarks by the chair the floor is open to share news and stories, solicit
assistance, introduce new people, comment on relevant events, clarify
points, and start relationships, among other topics.

2. The focus is on the care and feeding of high technology startups and
their growth and the startup scene in Huntsville.

3. Participants include anyone interested in high tech: all types of STEM
folk, investors, mentors, entrepreneurs, marketing experts, lawyers and
accountants who understand startups, faculty who can share learning from
empirical studies, social media folk who want to blog and tweet about this
stuff, and anyone else who wants to give and take positive energy to make
life more fun.

4. Our mode is that we have to take the leadership in making things happen;
that we have to be in this for the long run so commit to keep coming back;
that we are interested in giving before getting; and that we are open and
inclusive of all comers. Please reach out to and invite others who like this
mode.

5. Most want to go beyond incubators and see accelerators that form teams of
mentors and investors around startups to make sure they get off right and
succeed. We want to build on existing resources and develop them to be more
effective.

6. The ICE Lab at UAH is compiling a database on innovation resources in
Huntsville (to go online when the ICE Lab website opens); hoping to launch a
weekly Huntsville Innovation News daytime radio program; hoping to launch a
Huntsville Innovation Foundation funded by successful entrepreneurs and
sponsoring groups; and more. Volunteers to help out are welcome!

7. Done right with innovation and imagination, we feel that Huntsville will
emerge as a world-class center for innovation.

Please join us at our launch at 7:45 AM on Friday, 4 October. Our meetings
will be held at BizTech every other Friday morning starting on that Friday.
There is plenty of free parking and coffee will be served. We are grateful
to Gary Tauss for this generous invitation. The BizTech address is 515
Sparkman Drive NW, Huntsville, across the street from the UAH business
school.

Questions and comments welcome.

cheers

John

John R. Whitman, PhD

Visiting Assistant Professor in Entrepreneurship and Leadership

Interim Director, ICE Lab

College of Business Administration, Room 358

301 Sparkman Drive

Huntsville, AL 35899

CELL: 781-708-2764

john.whitman at uah.edu

http://www.uah.edu/cba/faculty-and-staff/profiles

Thank you,
Jeff

Jeff Hammock
CEO & Founder

MECHoptix, Inc.

Madison, Alabama
256-542-1711

www.MECHoptix.com <http://www.mechoptix.com/>

Protecting your vehicle, your precious cargo and you