[General] A Letter From Mojave - A Rocket Flight Opportunity For Code - Project Prometheus of Masten Space Systems

Ethan Chew spacefelix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 08:42:16 CDT 2014

Hello!

On Jul 15, 2014 6:34 AM, "Jeff Cotten" <omegix at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Ethan, will the raspberry pi be connected to the internet during the
test?

Sorry, no.  To avoid interfering with Xombie's control system, the crew has
told me no transmitters are allowed.

> If I wrote a piece of code that logged into #makerslocal and reported
back the altitude, would it it be able to reach the freenode server?

You'd need to make an isolated flight data recorder.  Due to the
restriction on transmitters, you can only download your data off a shore
connection when the vehicle is back on the ground.

         - Ethan

> On Tue, Jul 15, 2014 at 12:08 AM, Ethan Chew <spacefelix at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>>       Take note, it is my current understanding that educational
institutions get to fly for free.

>>       From Masten Space Systems in Mojave, CA (http://masten.aero/), an
opportunity to fly code on a vertical takeoff and landing rocket (such as
Xombie: http://youtu.be/A5b9LnzjGgU) on Project Prometheus:

>> http://masten.aero/2014/05/project-prometheus/
>>
>>       In summary; there is a Raspberry Pi on board that is connected to
a sensor suite.  Send Masten some code you want to run during a flight that
processes inputs from the sensors during the flight.  The project is for
the rapid, streamlined development of tools relating to; visual navigation,
landing detection, mass estimation and position/attitude estimation.  You
can reach them at prometheus at masten.aero with input and questions about the
program.

>> Quote:

broader community and increase accessibility to our VTVL vehicles. One of
the largest barriers to entry for any technology developer seeking to
conduct aerospace flight testing is access to a vehicle. Limited access to
an integrated GPS/IMU navigation system, flight-rated computing platforms,
and sensors present additional challenges to innovators. In the spirit of
broadening access to aerospace resources, we have had a project cooking in
the background called Prometheus.

development of flight-test ready technologies by innovators in academic and
research settings. By implementing a standardized interface between Masten
vehicles and experimental software and hardware tools, Prometheus will
provide a streamlined, efficient path for technology maturation throughout
the course of tool conception, development and flight test. Access to
uniform, flight-tested hardware and software development framework for
innovators will ultimately reduce integration, development and other flight
test costs.