[General] A Letter From Mojave - A Rocket Flight Opportunity For Code - Project Prometheus of Masten Space Systems

david ainut at knology.net
Wed Jul 16 19:28:28 CDT 2014

There are 9+ (so-called) DOF sensors on the market now in a single
package (some under $40), obviating the need for a separate
accelerometer.  It would definitely be interesting to see the G-forces
as applied all along the track.
Unless someone in the project is married to the RPi, the BeagleBone
Black (BBB) has a lot more compute power and functionality.

Don't count on the accuracy of GPS altitude unless you have a confirmed
WAAS (or equivalent) signal all during the flight.  GPS antenna is a
major concern in this type of environment.  Some GPS modules can use
signals besides just the ones from the US, but the other countries'
WAAS-equivalents are even more flaky than ours! :) The MTK3339 GPS (like
used in Adafruit's Ultimate GPS products) seems to be robust.  I'm just
beginning to program it now.  Very low power and can be had for under
$16 in small quantities, or with circuit board and glue for about $40
from Adafruit.

For recording video and metadata, again, the BBB is a good choice as I
have confirmed it works with a 32 Gb SD card.  By the weekend, I'll know
it if works with the newer 64 Gb SD cards.

David M.