[General] A Letter From Mojave - A Rocket Flight Opportunity For Code - Project Prometheus of Masten Space Systems

Ethan Chew spacefelix at gmail.com
Tue Jul 22 20:57:09 CDT 2014

I stand corrected.  There is a way provided for telemetry data:

>From the blog post (http://masten.aero/2014/05/project-prometheus/):

> In its initial formulation, Prometheus projects will primarily interface
> with Masten RLVs via a packet forwarder designed and built by Masten
> Guidance, Navigation and Control engineer, Scott Nietfeld. The preliminary
> packet forwarder utilizes a BeagleBone Black platform to create a  one-way
> broadcast of a Masten RLV’s telemetry stream onto a dedicated payload
> network that ensures that hosted technologies are isolated from the vehicle
> network. Using the packet forwarder, real-time data such as GPS location,
> inertial data, and vehicle state information can be streamed to hosted
> technologies during an actual RLV flight. In addition to the packet
> forwarding, payloads can be remotely powered on and off via BeagleBone
> Black control of  a dedicated payload relay board . Including the
> BeagleBone Black, the preliminary configuration of the Prometheus system
> will support Raspberry Pi and Arduino platforms.

And from the project manager, Scott Nietfeld (in response to being asked on
the packet forwarder on the rates and guarantees of real-time data):

We’re still working out the details, but telemetry data will likely be sent
> at 50Hz. As a result of how the data will be forwarded we cannot make any
> hard or even soft real-time guarantees; however, in practice the arrival
> rate should be reasonably consistent. We do expect to use UDP for telemetry
> forwarding, so your payload would need to be robust enough to tolerate the
> occasional dropped packet as delivery is not guaranteed.

I admit my understanding of the technology and the statements above is
limited, but I believe they are saying there is a way to what you are
speaking of, Jeff; to have onboard code report back altitude to the
freenode server on #makerslocal.

                - Ethan/spacefelix

--

                 V/r Ethan