[ML-General] HAM Radio @ Makers Local 256

Jeff Cotten omegix at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 10:17:56 CST 2015

Hi Makers!

  There has been some recent interest in improving our HAM radio
infrastructure at the shop.  To help with this effort, and provide a
general HAM resource, we now have the HAM Radio email list:

If you join, please check your spam box for the confirmation email.

Bruce C. recently expressed interest in setting up some spare routers at
the shop for a Broadband Hamnet (HSMM-Mesh):
http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

"Broadband-Hamnet™ (formerly called HSMM-Mesh™)  is a high speed, self
discovering, self configuring, fault tolerant, wireless computer network
that can run for days from a fully charged car battery, or indefinitely
with the addition of a modest solar array or other supplemental power
source. The focus is on emergency communications."

If you are interested in participating in this activity, we'll be planning
a staging party soon to flash the appropriate firmware onto some routers in
the hackables area.

Like this list, the HAM list is an open list, and we hope to gain
participating from members and non-members of the make shop.  Fell free to
forward this invitation to any of your ham buddies that you think might be
interested!

Sincerely,
Jeff Cotten