[ML-General] No More Radio Shack

Phillip Showers phillip.showers at gmail.com
Fri Feb 6 10:13:46 CST 2015

Ehhh according to the Forbes article, its a Chapter 11 Restructuring, with
a selloff of about half their stores (2400 of 5500) to a private equity
firm that will reopen about half of those as Sprint stores. So nothing is
really changing. RS is still gonna be a barely passable component shop,
though some stores might close for good. Amazon, Ebay, and Mouser/Digikey
are all viable replacements for RS, though it does suck that there might
not be somewhere local that one can run when they need some resistors or
transistors NOW and are willing to ignore the markup. RS has come in handy
for me in the past that way, but they've also let me down in the same way
too. In the end, we'll see what changes, they opened up a brand new store
in madison that had a slightly better selection and I'd be surprised if it
went away a year after they opened it.