[ML-General] hardware RAID

WebDawg webdawg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 16:32:44 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 2:24 PM, Brian Oborn <linuxpunk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I swear by Linux software RAID. At my previous job we had some problems
> with hardware RAID controllers, so I started using the software RAID and
> never looked back. Remember that you also have to plan for recovery if the
> controller bites the dust, whereas with software RAID you can use any other
> linux machine. Finally, if you possibly can run RAID10 instead of RAID5/6
> (or LVM and bunch of RAID1 pairs). You'll get much better performance and
> resiliency, especially with small reads and writes.
>
> Brian Oborn (bobbytables)

I love ZFS.

I still think you should have a good controller (an LSI in IT mode?).  You
should also have at a minimum drives that support TLER.  (WD Red).

I know with the software raid, it is best to have this nice controller, but
turn the features off (google LSI it VS ir mode).

With, at least, ZFS you can use a SSD as your cache + other things.