[ML-General] hardware RAID

WebDawg webdawg at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 17:33:20 CDT 2015

On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:30 PM, WebDawg <webdawg at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 3:11 PM, david <ainut at knology.net> wrote:
>
>>  I'm thinking about putting all the computers on the network disk array,
>> including the SOC's: beaglebone blacks, arduino mega256, and the RPi2.  I
>> would not mind doing the compiles (and maybe even the booting!) on the hard
>> drives instead of the limited-life SD cards and 'flash' that are on the
>> SOC's.  Any of you guys done that?  Everything in the house is 1Gb
>> Ethernet.  If only I could get that to the outside world <heavy sigh.>  :-)
>>
>>  Already have the BBB's booting of the SD card, which you have to do with
>> the rev B's and their 2 Gb size..
>>
>> David
>>

> I have thought about it.  At that point you need to consider the transport
> mechanism between the systems and such. NFS, CIFS, iSCSI?
>
> You need to back up.  Live. (ZFS Snapshot)
>
> I do not know what you do with them, so I cannot help there.
>
> PXE boot?  Other ways to boot?  I do not know a lot about that stuff
> except the RPi.
>
> I would consider bonding more then one port together on the network server
> if you are doing anything major.
>
> I run some VMS over NFS right now, I do not like it.
>
> I was using CIFS but after learning that is really bad to do over and over
> again.  I stopped.  None of this was mission critical.
>
> I want speed so I am leaning towards some physical disks for the virtual
> systems.  In the future I would use a fiber target or bonded target that
> was dedicated if I wanted network stuff.
>
> Fun Fun.

I forgot to mention.  You are going to need a few UPS units.  I have
destroyed virtual systems when a server that hosts its filesystem has went
down.  It is not fun bringing it back to life.

If you are talking about creating and image, and having the devices pull
any new images when new ones exist, still using them on the SD cards while
they are on, I think you have a different situation all together.