[ML-General] hardware RAID

WebDawg webdawg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 10:18:39 CDT 2015

Now I have a question about raid stuff.

Recently I have some equipment that was enterprise level equipment that had
FakeRAID.  It was a supermicro server with an option to switch the raid ROM
between Adaptec and Intel.  Both were fake raid.

The software that I was setting up on the system could not use FakeRAID and
I ended up putting in a SAS LSI Raid card.

I have another system I have to setup that has some flexibility and I would
much rather use the FakeRAID then hardware raid to save the cash.

This being said, it looks like either mdadm or dmraid have built in support
for intel fake raid and such.

What I have not found in my research is if it works like hardware raid
does.  That is, when using this fakeraid stuff, does it clone the
bootloader and such?

Does it operate like hardware raid but offload all the processing and such
to the CPU?

I could see how the fakeraid option ROM could handle the boot, and then
grub/whatever mounts the mdadm fake raid.

Anyone know?