[ML-General] BBS The Documentary

david ainut at knology.net
Fri Mar 20 17:56:55 CDT 2015

About 10 years ago, I bought a Cray YMP (the "Baby Cray") because it was
a supercomputer of it's day.  8 processors (wow!) and 2 gig of memory
(unheard of).  Brought it home and had to run a separate 220v line to
the computer room and change out the power connector on the Cray to
match what was commercially available around here.  When I fired it up
(and fire is the correct term,) the OS and all compilers and libraries
were intact!  Woohoo.
I could live with the quite loud fan noise, but within minutes I
realized I had a new whole-house heating system!  So, I could only turn
it on for specific experiments and tinkering and couldn't run it for
more than 30 minutes at a time.  Bah humbug.  So I sold it in a few
months.  <sigh>
Cray had *awesome* compilers, especially with the automagic
multiprocessor load spreading.  I bet SGI bought the Cray company just
for those compiler technologies.

David Merchant