[ML-General] BBS The Documentary

Kyle Owen kylevowen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 18:05:13 CDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 5:40 PM, david <ainut at knology.net> wrote:

>  Spacewar was before text Startrek on the DEC PDP's?

Spacewar! dates to 1962 on the DEC PDP-1, which predates even Star Trek:
TOS. It was later ported to a few other PDPs, including the PDP-8 (well,
the LAB-8, which had a point-plot display, a basic requirement for the
game), the PDP-7, PDP-10 and PDP-11, and other non-DEC systems as well.

The version I'm assembling on a PDP-8/E was written sometime in the early
1970s, I believe. It will be connected to a large oscilloscope display, and
I've already constructed period controllers for the game. The goal was to
stay with period hardware, which I'm staying pretty true to. I just got
through fixing the extended math boards (hardware multiply/divide) last
night, as documented here: imgur.com/a/QVRLs

That's a neat story with the Cray YMP. Too bad you don't still have it.