[ML-General] linux networking questions

Hunter Fuller hfuller at pixilic.com
Mon Oct 5 22:48:42 CDT 2015

Your router can still hang out at 192.168.1.1 just with subnet mask
255.255.0.0

Then on your clients, use DHCP. Or if you must static, you could do
192.168.123.123 (example) subnet mask 255.255.0.0 default route 192.168.1.1

On Linux to do this manually do this as root
ip addr add 192.168.123.123/16 dev eth0
ip route add default via 192.168.1.1

You should probably do this in your distribution's network startup scripts
though.