[ML-General] 3d printer

Tim H crashcartpro at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:21:00 CDT 2016

All 3D printers. (at least of the "Fused Deposition Modeling" type)

I have most recently been able to play around with a Makerbot Replicator
5th gen printer.
Purported to be the pinnacle of the "just press print" machines.
And it mostly succeeds. But you still have to go through leveling the bed,
the filament still jams, feed rates need to be adjusted depending on the
filament type and vendor and the humidity in the room and how the stars are
aligned. It isn't just this one expensive printer. It's just the nature of
this technology.

I still recommend the Printrbot Simple Metal to a lot of people. it's
really good for the cost. Everyone I know who has bought one has been
printing within 30minutes. However, everyone I know who's bought one has
also started making major modifications to the printer within the first
week. That might be more because I know a lot of tinkerers and makers
though. :P

Just my observations on the matter.
-Tim