[ML-General] very strange Linux problem

david ainut at knology.net
Sat Feb 20 15:34:49 CST 2016

Mysterious problem solved (I think.)

The g++ command was being called in a shell script that was
multi-thousand lines long (Qt stuff.)  Some permission problems between
the two machines' file attributes were not set correctly (prior to this
I had taken the easy way out for other problems and did some things as
root.)
In the Qt script, well prior to the commands invocation, some other
shell variables were fouled up due to those permission problems.  This
causes trouble down the line in shell scripts, a major problem which
I've seen occur for many years.  Makes one want to bang his head against
the wall when those gremlins happen.

I think that was what was happening, as when I fixed those permission
problems, now that script can "find" the missing command.

Ya gotta love computers.  <sigh>

Thanks, all.
David Merchant