[ML-General] Google Fiber coming to Huntsville

Hunter Fuller hfuller at pixilic.com
Tue Feb 23 10:40:00 CST 2016

> Dark fiver is also private fiber too. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_fibre

Not necessarily - it is possible to lease a fiber cable and only use a
few pairs of it.

But we're really talking about two different things. Huntsville
already has fiber all over the place, even in your neighborhood (yes,
you reading this, probably). That's what they are leasing to Google.
Some of this is Huntsville City fiber, some of it's from service
providers (especially Level3). Once Google uses this existing fiber to
get to our neighborhoods, they'll be installing new fiber to our
homes. It's a totally different use case for fiber - usually only one
strand to each home, and using a passive optical network.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_optical_network
--
Hunter Fuller