[ML-General] ftp to other computers on my subnet via name instead of dhcp ip address

David ainut at knology.net
Mon Jun 20 16:00:28 CDT 2016

To transfer files via ftp, for example, currently I have to go to the
target computer, log in, run ifconfig or ipconfig and get it's current
dhcp ip address, write it down so i don't forget, go back to the host
computer, then ftp to that ip address.  I cannot get the Linksys/Cisco
WRT320N router to use the computer name, versus the ip address, even
though it keeps the dhcp client list internally to itself.  This has
gotten to be just too aggravating.

So, is there a way I can get this router to do one of it's most basic jobs?

Alternatively, is there a way to have each and every Winblows and Linux
computer on my little home-net keep it's own internal table of computer
name vs ip addresses so I don't have the hassle every time I want to
move files from one to another?

Thanks,
David