[ML-General] Fwd: AIAA Basic Soldering Training Course - March 18

Stephan Henning shenning at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 23:39:59 CST 2016

I attended this class last go-around. Not a bad class, but for for those with no formal training in soldering this is very much a 'see what sticks' type of experience. They cover a lot of material in the lecture portion, most of which will be promptly forgotten.

There was no paper or electronic materials supplied. You do get to take the soldering kit with you, which is good since you won't get very much of it done. I believe most people got ~ a half dozen components soldered in the time allotted. My class had ~15 people in it with a single instructor, not a good ratio for a hands on class.

Will you learn something if you go, yes. Is it worth going if you are paying out of pocket, meh, depends on what you expect to get from it. This class will help dispel some of the bad information about soldering that floats out on the interwebs though.

If anyone is considering it I'll do some digging and see if I took any notes and maybe I can give you a better idea of what to expect. I do still have the kit somewhere...

-stephan

Sent from a mobile device, please excuse the spelling and brevity.