[ML-General] Large Laser upgrades and repairs

smeeon at gmail.com smeeon at gmail.com
Wed May 11 16:17:51 CDT 2016

With the help of Travis last night we got the Z-Axis repaired and tightened up, as well as a few other hardware tweaks like leveling the bed.

Travis loaned a laptop to be used for the laser cutter, and Hunter helped setup the software.

I focused the laser so that when it's Z is Homed (Datum) and 1/8" (3mm) material is loaded it's perfectly focused. If you want to use thicker material use a little math to calculate.

1/4" acrylic is actually 6mm so drop the bed 3mm to accommodate. If it's 1/4" MDF drop it 4mm. A caliper helps in this.

If you are unsure I've created a laser focusing tool, see attached image (hopefully)