[ML-General] elections - thought experiment`

Hunter Fuller hfuller at pixilic.com
Tue Sep 20 20:17:22 CDT 2016

I would like to make an important distinction here. Phil touched on
this, but I'd like to elaborate.
A "hacker" is defined by IETF's RFC1392 as "A person who delights in
having an intimate understanding of the internal workings of a system"
[1]. This is the definition upon which the Makers Local has built
itself as a "hackerspace." The alternative definition of "hacker," the
one that implies malice, is described as "deprecated" by the Jargon
File [2] and is not something that Makers Local 256 can condone or
participate in.

Therefore, I have no interest in hosting this type of discussion on
this mailing list - especially in a political context.
--
Hunter Fuller

[1] https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc1392
[2] http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/H/hacker.html