[ML-Hams] Ac unit for Ham shack

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Tue May 12 03:51:42 CDT 2015

On Mon, 11 May 2015, Bruce Campbell wrote:
> Also keep in mind that radios put out heat. If we want to build our
> shack out to the upper grades of awesomeness that this group deserves,
> we will be pushing some real power some day.

That's why the frequency reference runs hot (or lives in a
semi-controlled thermal environment), the amps/pre-amps live in
unconditioned space, but the radio itself is kept in the conditioned
space. Bonus points if you can remote the amp without too much
complexity.

Truly, a rubidium frequency standard is an annoying device. Especially
when it puts out 50W and expects to be able to give off a certain amount
of heat, while internally generating a certain amount of heat to hold a
temperature. AKA The World's Most Expensive Thermometer. And accurate,
too. :D

... well, if you have a way to compare it against other standards of
similar quality.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Architect