[ML-Hams] Software defined radio... thing

David ainut at knology.net
Mon Aug 22 14:53:04 CDT 2016

That's your standard RTLSDR software defined radio.  We use them in
flightworthy ADS-B units called stratux with software that runs on the
RPi-2 and -3 (and zero but why??)

The antenna cable plugs into a port on the body of the sdr, and the USB
connector is self-obvious.  You don't need that external pigtail unless
you want to attach the antenna to something besides the sdr.

There are better units that cost about $5 more but yours will work just
fine.  Check out gnuradio if you really want to geek out on radio stuff
with it.  You can use your SDR to get FM or AM radio or really anything
in the band between about 1 MHz to about 2 GHz and they work quite well,
especially with Linux software. :)  you can even get HDRadio (just
digital radio with better SNR than standard FM) with your unit.

You'll have a lot of fun with that.

David Merchant