[ML-Hams] Ham Radio Broadband

Jeff Cotten omegix at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 09:29:16 CST 2016

Hey hammers!

I thought you might be interested in the Ham Broadband Meshnet I
implemented:

https://256.makerslocal.org/wiki/Ham_Broadband_Meshnet

It's definitely nothing original, I just took existing firmware and found
compatible wireless routers.  Ray and John Martin had already sorted and
identified the stack of linksys routers at the shop as good candidates for
mesh projects, so that made it easy to find resources for this project.

I've heard that there are at least two other Ham Broadband users in the 5
points area, one of my friends is finding their contact info for me.  Who
knows, maybe if we can get a router in the air high enough we can provide
line-of-sight for anyone wanting to stand up an emergency ham broadband
network for the 5 points area.

Mostly what I took away from this project is that Ham Broadband is good for
non-robust, temporary networks.  For more robust ham, there's projects like
HamWAN which cost about $200 per installation to stand up.

There's also non-ham mesh networking which I haven't explored yet, but I
understand overcomes a lot of the problems with OLSR, which is the firmware
operating system that Ham Broadband is based on.

Anyways, happy hamming!