[General] Projector fund

David M. ainut at hiwaay.net
Thu Aug 20 19:01:30 CDT 2009

Will, did you have specific projectors to look into?  I hate the thought of
the dlp and other projectors that depend upon a (bright) light bulb because:
1) the bulbs generally have a comparatively short lifespan,
2) are incredibly expensive, last I heard from $300 to over $2,000, and
3) generally max out at 1024x768.
Fortunately, costs for these type projectors has dropped significantly in
the past couple of years.  I have to admit they are much easier to handle
than a CRT projector but how often does one have to move them?  If you're
thinking of the mobile ones to shine from a car for the "hacker movies" on
the side of a building, then they are almost ideal.  Our RV can be used to
power one on the move, but a car might be able to drive one but I'd have to
research the amperage requirements and see if the low cost inverters can
drive it.

One of my (physically large) front CRT projectors is still available to the
club if y'all want it.  It's large, heavy, and not too agile, but makes an
outstanding picture.  It can go up to 1280x1024p full color, and easily
handle 1080i for hdtv.  Best of all, it's free, just need some guys with
lots of muscles to put it up.

David