[General] N-Prize Entry Results In Chance For Publicity

Ethan Chew spacefelix at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 09:20:26 CDT 2010

Hello,

      This is a project in starting.  The deadline per the competition
rules<http://www.n-prize.com/assets/rules_in_full.pdf>is to launch a
9-19 gram satellite that achieves 9 earth orbits by September
19th, 2011.  As this project is done in partnership with HAL5's
Project HALO<http://chapters.nss.org/al/HAL5/HALO_Index.shtml>,
going on their launch history, they have achieved two successful
high-altitude flights and have been working on their third flight vehicle.
      From basic analysis, this goal is achievable using a 200 to 300 pound,
two to three-stage rocket with a propellant mass that is at least 85% the
total mass of the rocket and specific
impulse<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Specific_impulse>,
e.g. 'miles per gallon' for rockets, of at least 200 seconds.   This could
be done using composite materials such as Carbon-Fiber Reinforced
Plastic<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_fiber_reinforced_plastic>and
propellants that are liquid (propane/ethane-nitrous oxide) or solid (
PBAN <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PBAN> or other rubber-oxidizer
mixtures).  The next challenge to overcome here will be building it to fly
and keeping it under the cost limit of $1,500.00/launch prescribed in the
competition rules.

                 - Ethan

P.S. Competition Website: http://www.n-prize.com/