[General] Reminder: Workshop tomorrow evening at the shop

Bob themostbob at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:01:36 CDT 2011

(Please forward to whomever you feel may be interested)

This rather late reminder is for a workshop that seems to have slipped
people's minds - a member of the circuit-bender band CMTK4 is going to be in
town and giving a workshop on Contact Microphones, specifically their own
bottle-cap encased mics.  There will be soldering and if anyone has issues
with soldering, you will have an opportunity to learn in this workshop.

Contact mics are generally used in the music industry, but *that is not the
entire spectrum of their usefulness.  *They can be used to pick up ANY
surface vibration for any purpose, and are readily applicable to human
interfaces with embedded electronics. (Tap sensor door lock anyone?)

The original email is copied below, and here is the facebook event they set
up for this: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=162621903792910  (I can't
check it here at work, but this is the link they sent along)

(203 Brown St., say 6:30-7:00 pm)

My name is Jeff, I'm with the circuit-bending rock band CMKT4. We
manufacture and sell Bottle-Cap Contact Microphones. Recently we have
introduced kits for building contact microphones our way and we have
started to teach workshops about the process we use to make our
EconoMICs. Since then we have taught our workshops at over 15
hackerspaces across the Midwest.

We are headed to New Orleans and back on a spring workshop tour, and
our tour route will bring us near Huntsville, AL on Wednesday, April
13th. We were wondering if you would be interested in hosting a
contact microphone building workshop at your hackerspace.

At our workshops, everyone who buys a kit ($15 per workshop attendee,
includes a kit; $10 apiece for additional kits)  will learn to solder.
They will also work with hot glue, zip ties, shielded cable, a piezo
electric disc and recycled bottle-caps to make a fully functioning
Bottle-Cap Contact Microphone.  These microphones pick up physical
vibrations and transduce the vibrations into an electrical audio
signal.  Students are encouraged to bring instruments and found
objects to listen to through the microphones.
There is a dry-time involved in the materials we use, however, during
that time, we will put on a brief circuit bent and contact microphone
performance for the attendees.

You can hear more about us at http://www.facebook.com/cmkt4
http://www.myspace.com/cmkt4 and http://cmkt4.bandcamp.com/, we have
performance videos at http://www.vimeo.com/channels/cremedementia.