[General] Arduino Class Interest

Michael Spiceland mspiceland at gmail.com
Wed Sep 7 13:09:15 CDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 12:56 PM, Matt <brimstone at the.narro.ws> wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Todd and Karen(Katherine?) dropped off some stuff for us to have
> last Sunday afternoon and expressed interest in another Arduino
> class or worksthop. Katherine has an arduino, but doesn't know what
> to do with it or how to get started. Are other people interested in
> such a class or workshop?
>
> Is anyone interested in leading such an event?
>
> We can still get a discount through Adafruit, perhaps we should put
> together another order to lead up to this class? I'm guessing we'd
> need a few arduinos and breadboards or the breadboard shields to
> sell to the participants, but it's really up to whoever wants to
> lead it.
>
> #matt

For anyone interested, I did a class a few years ago on how to use
Arduino hardware but use normal C for development.  Perhaps some of
you came.  Teaching that class taught me the value in making things
easier to use..  From that learning experience, I made libarduino.  It
is basically just a Makefile, .c file, .h file, and some examples to
make things easier.  If you are a C programmer and want to use Arduino
hardware but not the processing language and IDE that comes with
Arduino, this may be for you.

http://code.google.com/p/libarduino/

To see how easy it is to use, take a look at one of the example below.
 For instance, in the class we painfully tried doing a demo that
allowed one to take input from a normal universal IR remote.  All of
that code boils down to the following example:

Example directory:
http://code.google.com/p/libarduino/source/browse/trunk/examples/

Universal IR remote example:
http://code.google.com/p/libarduino/source/browse/trunk/examples/irandserialexample.c