[General] VCR Tape Digitizer

Jeff Cotten omegix at gmail.com
Wed Aug 8 22:26:36 CDT 2012

I'd like to announce another resource at the shop, available early next
week for public use.

Thanks to troubleshooting by myself, Candleknight, Ramgarden, and temporary
equipment loans from Strages and Ratmandu, we now have a system in the A/V
lab for members to convert their old VHS tapes to a digital format.

I'll be switching out the temporary loaners that Ray and Justin let me use
for a proof of concept tomorrow with more permanent equipment.

The system is relatively simple to use, if you remember how to hit play on
a VCR and use the on-screen instructions provided by the Sandisk unit.

The first conversion I plan on doing is over the weekend, I'll be
digitizing some VHS tapes on how to make your own cabinetry.
I'm not sure where the digital copies of these videos will be stored yet,
hopefully I can get some storage space on one of the computers at the
shop.

I'd like this system to be able to be checked out of the shop, as the
temperatures in the A/V lab are not ideal for the life of VHS tapes, and
I'd hate for members to loose their originals unintentionally.  Members
will be able to bring the System home for a week or two, convert their
memories, and then bring the system back.  (But please wait till next week
when the loaned equipment has been switched out).

More information available here:
https://256.makerslocal.org/wiki/VCR_Tape_Digitizer

Happy Making!
Jeff