[General] Letter From Mojave - Looking For Advice on Security Systems

Matt brimstone at the.narro.ws
Mon Aug 13 15:10:26 CDT 2012

On 08/13/2012 12:47 AM, Ethan Chew wrote:
> I'm looking for some advice on how to build a security system with
> surveillance and alarms for some buildings in Mojave, CA.  Right
> now, we've been having an issue with businesses in the business
> district getting vandalized.

We're not using anything fancy. I've setup motion (motion.sf.net) on
two boxes to watch a usb webcam and export it's stream as a mjpeg.
I've also setup motion on one vm to watch both of these cameras and
the two IP webcams we have. With a simple script that's called when
motion is finished recording, if it's outside a specific time
window, it transcodes the video to something my phone can handle and
emails it to me. This could easily be adapted to email a mailing
list, ping someone on IRC, etc.

#matt