[General] RFID help

Faye Lynn Thompson watersprite at charter.net
Fri Dec 28 09:20:20 CST 2012

Wow, y'all are already being so helpful.

This started as an add on to my daughter's FIRST Lego League robotics team project.  The team is trying to use RFID to find misplaced items without the need to replace batteries.  The one we have is too short range, but it is a good way to learn we hope.
We have this one...
https://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/517/Default.aspx?txtSearch=rfid+usb

It is built/designed by Grand Idea Studio....
http://www.grandideastudio.com/portfolio/rfid-reader/

I think the usb port is an add on to the board from FTDI chip
http://www.ftdichip.com/index.html
but I'm not sure which driver to use.

We are using my early 2009 macbook pro and osx 10.8.2 because it's portable.  We have windows 7 available on other machines and dual boot on the laptop.   Just to make it trickier we'd like to be able to compile the code on a friends linux machine too.

I suspect part of our problem is just not being able to make time to get it our brains wrapped around it.  Now we'd like to have something that looks nice for the teams display at state competition on Jan 12th in Huntsville.

Thank You so much already
Faye Lynn

p.s.  You are all invited to the state competition.  Dates are still a little fuzzy but it will be in Huntsville.  Jan 12th or 19th at Huntsville High or Grissom
http://alabamafll.org