[General] Birmingham Hackerspace?

K West kit.west at gmail.com
Thu Feb 16 03:41:14 CST 2012

{ tl;dr- Live in the Birmingham area and interested in starting a
hackerspace there? Email kit.west at gmail.com }

Hi, my name's August, I'm from Birmingham. I recently visited the Makers
Local 256 hackerspace in Huntsville for the first time. I was pretty
impressed. I've followed sites like Hackaday, Hackernews, etc. and have
loved *reading* about the explosion of the awesome maker / hacker movement
within the few years... but I feel that I have missed out on getting to see
it transpiring in person, except for my own activities. Unfortunately, I
don't really know about anything similar available to enthusiasts in the
Birmingham area.

So I just wanted to put a feeler out there for any Birmingham people who
are interested in getting a hackerspace going. I know it would be an
enormous benefit to everyone and to the community.

 I don't know if I should encourage replying on the listserv, as that may
become spammy. But you can certainly email me at kit.west at gmail.com and
tell me your thoughts about organizing to bring a hackerspace to Birmingham.

I have experience in activism, organizing, and group facilitation. So to
contribute using the skills *I* have, I decided that I should try to
organize an interest meeting (or a few of them) in Birmingham sometime in
the near future and see how many people turn up. I have a few friends I
know off the top of my head that would be interested in getting involved.

In the next few days, I'll be working on this.  I am open to any and all
input at all stages in this process.  Once I send this message I'll begin
working on making some flyer designs, and pursuing whatever other channels
I have available to me to get the message out (e.g. social media). But what
is critical here is YOUR feedback. Please let me know what YOU think!

I'll try to throw up a basic informational webpage, maybe a wiki, and hell,
maybe an imageboard just for fun.

I am not the final arbiter of anything- I am not, de facto, ""the Decider"
of the group. I see my role as facilitating communication and discussion,
and to contribute to the manifestation of a hackerspace in Birmingham in
whatever ways I can.

I am hoping to hear from you!

/*If my grammatical structure seems a bit wonky, that's just the sleep
deprivation.*/