[General] Any linux gurus?

David ainut at knology.net
Mon Dec 16 18:28:50 CST 2013

I had completely forgotten about the overhead of atime and did not know
the practicality of noatime.  Good catch, Charles.

So I recommend that you use a filesystem on the ssd's that does not use
journaling, and set the ssd drive directories with (as root) :

format the SSD's with ext2 (fat32 is not recommended for high speed
usage but may not matter with ssd's and only two files);

then,

[root at machine /root]#*chattr*  -R +A  /dirofSSDtempdata/
(after reformat, of course.)

Caveat: without journaling, ensure you have a good battery backup APS on the system.  You probably already have that for something that runs for WEEKS!

Also, I hope whoever wrote the program made it re=entrant with little loss of time in case the system did crash, for whatever reason.

David M.