[General] Self-Paced Electronics Engineering Tutorial

Kirk D Mccann kirk.mccann at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 16:24:42 CDT 2013

I too am interested in the exact same area.  That is why I hope to attend
the IEEE event that was emailed out last week.  It may not cover everything
but at least its a step.

Dear IEEE Members,

This is an announcement for an IEEE JRACS Chapter Event.

Event:            IEEE JRACS Arduino Robotics Workshop
Date/Time:   *November 14, 2013 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm*
Registration: Oct 28 - Nov 12, 2013 - *Limited to 20 participants.*
Priority registration, for IEEE Members only, will be open until Oct 31.
Registration Link: https://meetings.vtools.ieee
.org/meeting_view/list_meeting/21589
 *Registration Costs & Schedule:*
$20 for IEEE JRACS Members, *starts Oct 28*, IEEE non-JRACS members can
join RAS for additional $9
@ieee.org<http://www.ieee.org/membership_services/membership/renew/index.html>
$10 for IEEE Students & Graduate Students Members, *starts Oct 30*
$40 for Other IEEE Members (if not wanting to save $11 by joining RAS
instead), *starts Nov 1*
$50 for Non-IEEE participants, *starts Nov 1*
Location:
Dynetics, Inc.,
Solutions Complex, Main Conference Room
1004 Explorer Blvd., Huntsville AL

The IEEE Arduino <http://www.arduino.cc/> Robotics Workshops aim to train
chapter members and the community at large in the use of open-source
low-cost robotic platforms. We are planning to deliver basic and advanced
Arduino-Based Robotics Workshops to introduce novice and experienced users
to low-cost commercial-of-the-shelf (COTS) robotic modules to foster
wide-spread development of robotics applications. The format of this event
will be a hands-on experience and not a classroom/lecture type event. During
the workshop, every team of two participants will be able to use one of our
IEEE JRACS Arduino Robotics
Kits<http://www.ieee-huntsville.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/IEEE-JRACS-Arduino-Robotics-Workshop-Kit.pdf>
 (featuring over 30 different sensors/actuators and powered by an Arduino
Mega ADK <http://arduino.cc/en/Main/ArduinoBoardADK> board). Participants
should bring a laptop computer for code development and download. Required
software (Arduino 1.0.5) <http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software> is available
here <http://arduino.cc/en/Main/Software>, and must be pre-installed before
the workshop. The Arduino Language reference is available
here<http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage>
.

The IEEE Robotics and Automation Society (RAS) provided a $2000.00 grant to
purchase the hardware kits used in these workshops. These kits will remain
with the IEEE JRACS chapter for use in future basic and advanced robotics
workshops. Registration fees cover the cost of consumables and printed
materials.

[image: Inline image 1]
<http://www.ieee-huntsville.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/Robotics-Workshop-Kit-600.jpg>
IEEE JRACS Arduino Robotics Workshop Kit

Given that the IEEE Robotics and Automation Society provided financial
support for purchasing all hardware to be used in this workshop, priority
registration will be given to IEEE JRACS members. IEEE members that are not
JRACS members can join the Robotics and Automation Society for only $9 to
receive a significant discount in the registration fee. After about a week
of priority registration for IEEE members, event registration will be
opened to the public.

These are open events, so please feel free to forward this information to
your colleagues or anyone that could be interested in the topic.

Workshop Agenda:

4:30pm Networking & Registration
5:00pm Workshop Session 1 (Modules 1 & 2)
6:45pm Break
7:00pm Workshop Session 2 (Modules 3 & 4)
8:30pm Robotic Demos
9:00pm Adjourn

Best,

IEEE Joint Robotics & Automation - Controls Systems (JRACS) Society
IEEE Huntsville Section, Huntsville, AL
------------------------------
Workshop Details

For curriculum preparation, we are planning to rely heavily in already well
developed Arduino training resources including but not limited to:

   1. http://arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/HomePage (Arduino Homepage)
   2. http://tronixstuff.com/tutorials/ (50 Tutorials)
   3. http://www.ladyada.net/learn/arduino/
   4.
   http://communityofrobots.com/tutorial/kawal/how-make-your-first-robot-using-arduino

The workshops will deliver 4 training modules for basic and advanced
levels. The workshop hardware is comprised of 10 Custom IEEE JRACS Arduino
Robotics Workshop
Kit<http://www.ieee-huntsville.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/IEEE-JRACS-Arduino-Robotics-Workshop-Kit.pdf>
that
will provide a physical platform for members to learn how to use software
and hardware functionality readily available today and in this way foster
their interest in robotics applications in all areas. Each workshop will be
4 hours long and will enable the participant to have hands on robotics
applications by using a variety of sensors and actuators in combination
with Arduino  <http://www.arduino.cc/>based micro-controllers.

The outline of the Basic Level Workshop is as follows:
Module 1

   1. Introduction to Arduino
   2. Setting up your system
   3. Basic digital input/outputs

Module 2

   1. Serial Communications
   2. Pulse-width modulation
   3. Reading analogue inputs

Module 3

   1. Using LCD screens
   2. Controlling relays
   3. Infra-red remote control

Module 4

   1. Controlling servo motors
   2. Using I2C protocol
   3. Using temperature, magnetic, vibration and tilt sensors

To be added or removed from the IEEE Huntsville Section email list, just
send an email to L.G.Barajas at ieee.org with
ADD<L.G.Barajas at ieee.org?subject=ADD_JRACS>
or REMOVE <L.G.Barajas at ieee.org?subject=REMOVE_JRACS> as the subject line.

Thanks and Have a Good Day,