[General] Gearhead makers might be interested in the 24 Hours of Lemons

Rick Nelson geezer.nelson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 19:19:56 CST 2014

I have been on the email list for years, but don't post often.  I also
don't spend time at the shop, even though I live only a few blocks away.  I
apologize in advance if I'm out of line with this post.
I have been to a Lemons race at Sebring.  There are fun cars that don't
take themselves seriously, and there are race cars with serious drivers
that take advantage of the rules to drive fast, expensive cars.  There are
loopholes in the $500 limit that allow drivers to race BMWs and Porsches
that look like they should be in a professional event.  However, if a team
is racing for fun and not upset by winners in $10,000 cars, it could be a
total blast.
If some of you are seriously interested in entering the 24 Hours of Lemons,
or the Chump Car Series, I can provide a car that will qualify after a
rebuild.  I bought it with this in mind,.  It is a 1977 MG Midget 1500.
If any of you are serious enough about a Maker Racing Team to put some work
into it, we could race next season, and maybe even get some autocross runs
in it this season.  Lemons requires a minimum of four drivers, and a pit
crew would be needed.  I'll be one driver, so we need at least three more.
I believe six drivers is the max.

Rick Nelson