[General] vehicle black boxes

James Fluhler j.fluhler at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 14:51:21 CDT 2014

While I do agree with the open concept and the "why not" approach; I am not
convinced it is used to determine fault, it frankly does not record enough
information to prove fault. Although it could be used as evidence. But
there are a lot of other pieces of evidence in a car crash that help to
determine fault. I would say perhaps the single most valuable piece of
information it could record to determine fault would be speed of travel.
Toyota would argue with you that it shouldn't be used to reconstruct an
accident.

As for mandatory open, in some way I feel forcing open content is just as
bad as allowing closed. The manufacturer should have the right to make
their systems open or not, we have the right as the consumer to buy or not
buy.