[ML-General] IMU units and GPS read

david ainut at knology.net
Wed Apr 22 19:38:02 CDT 2015

I just have to get by the shop and solder in the pins before I can play
with them.  I have 4 other IMU's to tinker with but this is the first
(too bad it had to be Bosch) that has the "sensor fusion" already
built-in.  What Bosch did was include an embedded uprocessor and
developed their own code.  I cannot find out if they used Kalman
filtering or not, or exactly which algorithm they selected.  I *greatly*
enjoy not having to write that code and optimize it for an embedded box
so if this works, I consider it money well spent. However, Bosch does
not have a great track record in that respect. Plus, the more cpu load I
can offload from the BBB, the better I like it. :)
I'm also using the Adafruit "ultimate gps" board (MTK 3339) for the same
environment.  Running tests now to determine the lowest processor
overhead involved with just talking to the danged thing. Read() a char
at a time, or string at a time.  Which method uses the least overhead?
And worse, getting a line at a time doesn't know when to stop because
the gps out uses Winblows CR/LF instead of the UNIX/Linux '\n.'  Using
read() with fixed buffer size is reading PAST the end of line into the
next line because of that.  Grrr. Searching for problem resolution now.
Minicom source has both methods in it's algorithm but I can't determine
which is used in their runtime.  Their output from the serial GPS
strings looks correct but I can't get my program to do that in canonical
(get string mode) to do that.  Probably "programmer head space" error.

This toy has applications in several areas, including drones and etc.

I want a drone so bad...

David Merchant