[ML-General] qt training

Susan Spencer susan.spencer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 17:37:10 CST 2015

hey David,
You and I had a thread about this. You didn't get much of a bite on the
general thread so we took it offline. I think you had a specific problem
installing Qt on a Raspberri Pi which you resolved and then the offline
thread died.

I'm still interested in learning more about Qt. There are reasons why a
group of people looking into it is a good idea.

The documentation is notoriously sparse. And Qt has different development
approaches for using Python versus Javascript versus C++, and on top of
that there are differences for building mobil/crossplatform apps versus
Mac/Linux/Windows compiled apps.

And then there's all the Qt widgets to get to know. Plus the undocumented
features like the build option to use a specified number of processors
which only works on Windows but not on Linux, because on Linux it will use
*all* processors, which can lock up your computer. Plus the version
distributed with Ubuntu was created to build apps for their phone (which is
now a dead project), and you have to remove that version before you
reinstall it from the general distribution repo.

Lots of people around here know a particular usage of Qt. It would be super
beneficial if we compared notes.

- Susan