[ML-General] hardware RAID

Hunter Fuller hfuller at pixilic.com
Fri Jun 12 10:57:53 CDT 2015

All,

There are a couple of things still to be addressed here...

- David, why did your md raid fail? This should never ever ever ever ever
happen. Maybe it didn't fail and the differences you see are in the
metadata and boot loader...? I hope that is the case. There's no reason for
a md raid 1 to not mirror. If you have that problem, you may have much
bigger problems. Such as a failing disk, controller, or something.

- I'm as big of a zfs fanboy as anyone. But remember, you NEED error
corrected ram to run zfs! The chances of a ~8-16GB set of memory developing
an error are extremely high compared to back when we ran 128MB. If zfs is
doing a patrol read ("scrub") and a bit gets flipped in your ram, it will
treat that data as authoritative and push it out to all your disks and
caches!!! This can and will destroy your data in subtle but important ways.
I have seen it happen. Be careful out there!