[ML-General] hardware RAID

Kirk D Mccann kirk.mccann at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:10:08 CDT 2015

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hacking-wd-greens-and-reds-with-wdidle3-exe.18171/

>> My recommendation:
>> All that being said I am a big fan of Freenas, because it uses ZFS.
>> Btrfs is great but its not quite where ZFS is yet(or at least that was the
>> case when I last looked at it).  If you go the ZFS route you REALLY REALLY
>> need to read up on how ZFS, uDevs, and vDevs work.  Because what many
>> people dont realize is you cant just add a single disk to the array when
>> you do it makes the entire array fail if that single added disk fails.
>> When you add drives you have to add drives in sets.
>>
>> I talked to one of the btrfs devs onces.  That dev was extremely against
> me talking about btrfs like it was ZFS.  That being said I still do not
> know alot about it.  Being the dev they were I am sure we are talking about
> a lot of the details that really do make a difference in the end.  I know I
> need to do more research but at the time the dev was more into making btrfs
> stable for enterprise then features.
>

>> Personally I'm paranoid about my data, I use ZFS raid z3 on two vDevs,
>> each vDev has 5 2+TB drives.
>>
> This is one of the reasons I use ZFS w/ ECC memory.  It can detect bit
> flips!
>

>> Oh and with ZFS you can use different size drives but you waist a good
>> amount of space when you do that.
>> And lastly be sure to schedule scrubs of your drives and do it in a way
>> that the scrub will not occur while a long smart test is running.  That can
>> cause problems.
>>
>> Can I ask what type of problems?

According to the forums.  "It isnt able to handle a scrub, offline test and
normal traffic well."
https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/scrub-and-smart-testing-schedules.20108/

Sounds like performance.  The guy who made the post (cyberjock) is one of
their forum admins and he has helped me with some difficult questions so I
trust his opinion.