[ML-General] BBS The Documentary

david ainut at knology.net
Fri Mar 20 17:17:48 CDT 2015

Boy, does that bring back memories!  I jumped into the home computer
world in 1977 and instantly became evangelistic for the concept, for
home and businesses.  Sold my first commercial program in 1978.  Not
even floppies were available for the Apple II at that time.

I still look back in wonder at WHY in the world did I pay $1,998 for a 5
meg hard drive in 1981 or so, for an IBM PC.  But that is how I now make
my living.  In '77, $1,698 for an Apple II with a whopping 48K (yes,
kilobytes) of memory; did not include monitor or tape drive, and
floppies were not available.  That was just for the system.  It only did
40 characters per line back then because it was built to use normal TV's
for monitors.  It was so funny watching the UPS guy's eyes get bigger
and bigger as I counted out the cash to give him when the Apple was
delivered!  Back then, $1700 was like a quarter of some people's annual
salary.  I was hooked and hooked bad.  :)  I bet I spent I spent more on
computer books, magazines, and software than I did for the hardware per
year. :)

It also ruined my body but now we know more about the ergonomics.
<sigh>  I remember reading a multi-page article about ergo in 1978 or so
and thought yeah, these guys have great ideas.  I adopted most of them,
but remember, that was way before mice were used.

David Merchant