[ML-General] linux dual boot win 8.1?

Michael Patton pattoma at gmail.com
Thu Oct 8 17:50:18 CDT 2015

So, I got linux mint installed along side Win 8, but when grub comes up and
I select "windows 8" it says that the boot record is missing or contains
errors...I completely panicked...so I turned it off and i'm able to get
into the setup and...well, now I can't remember what I selected but windows
loads.

During the install process, I switched the boot from UEFI to Legacy to get
it to find the usb stick early enough to boot. No matter how many times I
tried, this was the only way it would find the usb stick and boot from it
first (already changed the boot order, etc.).

So, it's installed and works, windows 8 still here and works, but obviously
something isn't right.

Should I change it back to UEFI now that everything is installed? I don't
understand wth UEFI is...

Also, didn't want to run a virtual machine, so that's why I wanted to do a
dual boot (again).

Thx.