[ML-General] linux dual boot win 8.1?

Kevin E. Ivey ik04 at isot.com
Fri Oct 9 10:11:22 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-09 09:23, Michael Patton wrote:
> Woah - thanks for the time to write all of that out. I'm going to have
> to read it a few times to understand it. :)
>
> I appreciate the help and when I'm smarter, I'll decide what to do
> here.
>
> In the meantime, is there any harm in leaving it the way it is and
> hitting F12 during the boot to be able to select which "way" to boot?

I have been booting this way for over a year now and it has caused me no
pain, except when I upgraded to Win10.  When Win10 added another GPT
partition, it threw GRUB off and I had to rewrite the GRUB config to
boot to a different location.

One of the advantages of GPT partitions is that the old concept of
"Primary" and "Extended" partitions and the four primary partition (In
Windoze) limit is all gone.

As was mentioned before, UEFI does not care where the bootloader is
installed and it will go anywhere on any file system to find the
assigned boot program.

There is a way to do a dummy install of Ubuntu that will allow you to
boot "normally" into the UEFI and select whether to boot to Linux or any
other installed OSes.  Once the system is "tricked" into booting to both
(or many) locations, you can go back and install any distro of your
choice.  I don't have the link, but I found it by Googling "UEFI Linux
Boot."

Hope that helps,

Kevin
K4IVE