[ML-Hams] new mast

Kris Kirby kris at catonic.us
Mon Aug 22 15:02:35 CDT 2016

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016, Jeff Cotten wrote:
> The side of the makeshop is about 40 feet, and we'll have two fixed
> points along the side of the building where we're bolting unistrut.
> Two rods will come away from the unistrut and terminate in a clamp
> around the mast.

I'd recommend using two pieces of unistrut, one inside and one outside,
bolted together. Remember to use heavy, hot-dipped galvanized unistrut
or stainless steel / aluminum unistrut or it won't last five years.

> Those two fixed points will hold the majority of the mast in place,
> with only about 10 feet of the mast going above the building.  I've
> never done this, but I don't think we'll have to guy the 10 feet above
> the roof line.

I'd consider four-point guying since two of your anchors are in line
with the building... then guy the fourth over the top of the building
and the short side as close as practical, i.e.: property line.

Also remember to use galvanized wire-rope or uv-stable dacron 550-ish
cord. Amsteel blue can also be used but UV stabilization is important.

--
Kris Kirby, KE4AHR
Disinformation Architect, Systems Mangler, & Network Mismanager