[ML-General] linux dual boot win 8.1?

Kevin E. Ivey ik04 at isot.com
Fri Oct 9 00:03:37 CDT 2015

On 2015-10-08 17:50, Michael Patton wrote:
> So, I got linux mint installed along side Win 8, but when grub comes
> up and I select "windows 8" it says that the boot record is missing or
> contains errors...I completely panicked...so I turned it off and i'm
> able to get into the setup and...well, now I can't remember what I
> selected but windows loads.
>
> During the install process, I switched the boot from UEFI to Legacy to
> get it to find the usb stick early enough to boot. No matter how many
> times I tried, this was the only way it would find the usb stick and
> boot from it first (already changed the boot order, etc.).
>
> So, it's installed and works, windows 8 still here and works, but
> obviously something isn't right.
>
> Should I change it back to UEFI now that everything is installed? I
> don't understand wth UEFI is...
>
> Also, didn't want to run a virtual machine, so that's why I wanted to
> do a dual boot (again).
>
> Thx.

Howdy,

Each OEM does their UEFI slightly different...  My HP laptop has a very
complicated boot sequence and I have to hit f9 prior o the UFI boot
system looking for the first GPT partition.

I re-sized my Windoze partition and left empty space on the drive. After
creating my new GPT partitions and installing linux in the remaining
drive space, GRUB was installed in the Boot Partition of the drive.

UEFI and Windoze do not use the old way of booting from the first
partition, so the computer will not even see the GRUB loader unless the
f9 key is pressed to open a menu that gives a choice of booting to an
optical drive or a USB drive or the Hard drive!  By selecting the HDD,
the system bypasses EFI completely and reverts to a legacy boot to the
Boot partition, where GRUB resides...

Once I get to GRUB, the system boots like the good old days..  If I do
nothing when the computer is powered on, UEFI starts and goes to the
menu that looks for the Windoze bootloader and boots to Win 10...

My UEFI boot menu will not allow me to boot directly to the HDD, so one
boot system does not see the other.  It'd a goofy setup, but it works...

Kevin